dream ii: laladilala

dream series ©2001 & 2011 by mica

i searched the papers for a film to go to. according to the listing there was something of interest playing in theatre x… in x… it was a bit far, like traveling from rego park to astoria, but i didn’t care. as a matter of fact, i looked forward to this little bus excursion.

it always pleased me to watch the houses and cars and sky while crossing the grand central highway. when i reached the astoria/corona-like town/borough, i lost my bearings. i looked around and noticed a pakistani newsstand attendant who was sitting on a stool, conversing with another pakistani friend of his, who recognized my situation. i walked over to him, and asked if he knew where theatre x… was. he shook his head no, but believed that it was in y… 

“but we also have good theatres here” he assured me. “why not look through our papers. you may find a movie to your liking.” 

i thanked the man, and did as he said. while i searched the paper, and he and his friend spoke, a third man walked up to me and invited me to his loft for a smoke. the pakistani and the new arrival seemed to be on friendly term, and since i had nothing better to do i decided to go for this little adventure. 

the man had a huge loft, which reminded me of my friend stephanie h…’s place on canal street. the large windows allowed plenty of light to brighten this somewhat dusty place. i don’t remember any rugs on the old wooden floors, but i’m sure there was some lying around. the man, who was kinda short, late thirties/early forties, hair still black and a little curly, with a french arabic look, sat on a wooden wing-tipped chair next to a small table in his large foyer. i sat across from him on a queen-sized bed filled with velvet and printed pillows, some with teeny tiny little mirrors sewn on them. 

as we sat bullshitting around, talking about movies and smoking his mellow herb, a sante kimes looking woman walked in. she was dressed all in white: white buttoned down long sleeved silk shirt with frilly cuffs, white pants, pearls, huge elizabeth taylor sunglasses, with liz taylor-styled short dyed black hair. she looked at me and said, “i know how to get you to the theatre, honey.” 

she went to the room behind me and went through all her paraphernalia before joining us with her pipe. it was mellow and cool. the man was talking about rod stewart; her, about her drugs; me, i was just the listener as they revered out loud. some time later the woman had to go on a run, she told me to watch her stuff, which she left splayed out in the room, even though she knew the nursery was connected to it, and one of the little kids could easily rummage through her things. i shrugged and said okay, though i had no intention of doing anything.

time passed and idel came by and lied down on the bed with me. by this time there was a faceless third person sharing our spot. when the man offered us more pot, i complained about my throat, and idel flat out refused, which cocked my eyebrow. why would she, of all people, refuse good pot. anyhow, the man told me he’d make me some tea with it, when rod stewart walked in. 

now, the scene was: idel and i are lying upside down from each other, the third person, some young skinny kid, had his head by my feet as he lay perpendicular to us. my knees were bent upwards as he kept opening and closing them. that’s when rod steward walked in. his greedy eyes widened at my flapping legs, and he smiled a toothless smile at me. the three of us ignored him as the man took him to the kitchen for his score. when they returned, the man handed me my tea, which i found too cold. the kimes woman walked in on us and said, “no problem”. she took it to her room and put it on this neat little cup warmer with thermostat and all that was screwed unto the wall, next to her bed. 

“are you sure you don’t want any?” i asked idel. “nah, she answered.” 


her intentions were to go walk by the lake. rod stewart came over trying to get into my pants, but i really wasn’t into him, so he finally left, and i looked at my tea and that cup warmer that i wanted to invent for myself, and laladilala, a little after that i woke up…

Popular Posts